"We Get You Moving!"
  170 Merrick Rd, Amityville NY 11701          631-264-7700
  Welcome to
   Rosie The Realtor's Rentals

Rosie's Rentals


Legalizing Your Rental:

Town of Babylon:

 (See attachment on "Download-able Appplications Page" for Rental Permit Application)

Q. What is a rental permit?
A. A rental permit allows a home to be legally occupied by persons other than the owner. This applies to all occupants, including family members who do not pay rent.

Buildings with rental units can be a single family dwelling with only one kitchen.

If the home is a legal two family by way of certificate of occupancy, both units may be rented and neither would be required to be owner occupied, but still requires a rental permit.

Q. When would I need a rental permit?
A. Anytime someone other than the owner of a home is the primary resident, a rental permit is needed. This is done to ensure that all homes are safe for others to live in and that the premises have complied with all applicable code requirements.

Q. What is the rental permitting process?
A. To apply for a rental permit, you must fill out an application and file it with the Building Department.

The following additional items will be required when you submit your application:

  • A Deed or duplicate Certificate of Title
  • Detailed Floor Plans drawn at 1/4" to 1' scale
  • A Survey
  • Certificate of Occupancy
  • Identification and Tax bill
  • Building Permit Application (if you intend to make changes);
  • Fee ($200 for first unit and $50.00 for each additional unit).

An inspection date will be scheduled for a Building Inspector to inspect the apartment in your residence. In some cases a Town of Babylon Licensed Engineer report may be submitted to certify that the premises comply with all required codes.

For more detailed information on these requirements, please call the Rental Department at (631) 957- 4334.

Q. What are the rental permit requirements?
A. The permit requirements for rental units that applicants should be aware of include:

  • Smoke detectors must be placed in each bedroom, each hallway leading to a bedroom and at least one on each level of the house
  • Hardwired carbon dioxide detectors must be on each level of the building
  • Railings for all outside stoops in excess of 18" high
  • Handrails for stairwells
  • Fire-rated sheet rock for boiler areas
  • Improved driveways
  • No unregistered motor vehicles are alllowed on the property
  • Property must be in good and well maintained condition
  • Storm windows on property
  • No basement bedrooms
  • Electric outlets can not be exposed
  • Tiles and grouting in bathrooms must be in good condition
  • All units must have proper heat and hot water
  • All Building permits and Certificates of Occupancy must be in place and up to date and building markers must be plainly legible.

*It is imperative to legalize your apartment to advoid town issued penalities and improper liabilty.